Recipe of the Month: Homemade Snack Bar
Nu-Train comments: Though in an ideal world we would all eat balanced meals and snacks with whole grains, lean protein, and lots of fruits and vegetables, realistically it is often too time consuming and impractical. However, we can’t just starve until we have time to grab a decent meal. That’s where bars come in. Bars are quick, and if you choose the “right” ones, they can be balanced and filling. Here is a great homemade bar recipe from Nu-Train.
This recipe is easy and fits all of our requirements for being a balanced snack bar.
3 ½ cups quick oats
1 ½ cups powdered non-fat milk
4 scoops chocolate or vanilla protein powder
¼ cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup sugar-free maple syrup
2 egg whites
¼ cup orange juice
1 tsp Vanilla
¼ cup natural applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and blend well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, egg whites, orange juice, vanilla, and applesauce.
4. Stir wet mixture (step 3) into dry mixture (step 2).
5. Spread mixture evenly onto a sprayed baking sheet.
6. Bake until edges are crisp and brown.
7. Cut into 10 bars.
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Carbohydrates: 27g